Thursday, April 5, 2012

A new adventure



So many of you know that I went back to school in 2010. I am a student at Arizona State University. My program is interdisciplinary studies with a concentration in organizational managment. Basically its about getting people to do what needs to be done. It's been a struggle some times as I tried to get my rusty brain to remember how to study. Rob has been really supportive. He doesn't even complain about the kitchen table looking like a desk most nights. But that's not the full reason for the blog.

I work for a great company that wants to provide opportunities for us to regenerate and grow. So every 6 years I get a 6 week fully paid sabbatical. I qualified 2 years ago. Now 6 weeks sounds like a great thing but when you don't have the other members of your family also able to clear out 6 weeks of their schedules it can be lonely. I was determined that I would not a) waste it and b) not stay at home. We had lots of talk about what to do but not a lot of decision making.

So when the stars align and the seas part, you have to pay attention. ASU offered a 7 week study abroad opportunity for 2 of my required courses. In fact, one of the classes I was trying to figure out how to do as it is a practical application requiring 125 hours of volunteer work over a 7 or 13 week period. Not possible with a full time family and job. But combine that with sabbatical and it all magically works out.

I registered, was interviewed and accepted into the program. In Dublin, Ireland starting May 14. I will be in a group of 25 other ASU students studying there. Most are typical college age, but 4 of us are in the over 40 crowd. I am now in the final stages of planning to leave Fremont for 7 weeks of school and another week of travel. Rob and the kids will join me week 7 and we'll hang out in Dublin for a week, then hit Edinburgh and London.

Yes, I am leaving home for 2 months
No, Rob is not going with me
Yes, he and the kids will be there are a while, but not until the last 2 weeks.
Yes, I know how old I am
Yes, I probably am crazy but what the heck. Its an opportunity that just put it all together.

Plane tickets were purchased last night so it's official - I'm going to Dublin!

No comments:

Post a Comment