Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Victories Christi

The Beach at Bray looking towards Dublin Bay
My internship was with a Catholic lay mission organization who trains and supports individuals who want to serve in areas of need in developing countries. The org has been in business since 1960. I met some of the most interesting people as VC graciously welcomed me. I met Mary who was a nun in Uganda during the reign of Idi Amin and who was kicked out of the country by him also. A feisty women who continues to support the orphans in that country. I had the great pleasure to meet Helen who uses art as therapy in South Africa at the girls school she works at. She had lovely pictures of the girls she teaches. SA has a large number of children suffering from fetal alcohol syndrome and also many orphaned by aids. Helen was back in Ireland for a few weeks then returning. I met Marie and Maura home for 2 weeks from Juao Parisa Brazil. They work in the poorest area as educators in a town under constant peril from drug lords. Their bus was often robbed as they tried to get to the school and they resorted to buying a car to have safer passage.


VC - Helen, Rita, Paula, Sally, Charlie
Ann and Martina at Bray
The staff works very hard to train the people before they go on what to expect. They also help them secure funding to live overseas and assist with visas and travel planning. Sally, who is the development person writes up grant applications, served as a special needs educator in Ethiopia and Uganda. She works part time, about 50 hours a week. Martina runs the office and manages the training program. Rita, the receptionist and office assistant has worked there 9 years. Ann, who runs the finance stuff commutes 1.5 hours each way to work. Colette, who does pr for the org works from home. With only these few people they support 20 overseas workers. Some have been in the field for over 15 years.

Brayhead Trail to Greystones
 My last week the VC staff took an afternoon out to the seaside town of Bray. We were joined by the Council president Charlie. Charlie is an educator and was in charge of his schools end of term exams this year. Helen also joined us. We walked along the Brayhead trail. After another of the council members invited us all for dinner at her home. Tina and another women, Mary, fixed dinner for 12. It was a great meal of chicken and broccoli with mashed potatoes. The VC staff was very kind and supportive during my time with them. We worked to capture 25 years of the organizations history electronically and produced some new reports for council and Colette for PR.


My last day they gave me a beautiful Irish bronze nativity or crib as they are called here. A creche I learned is a child care. They also gave me a claddah necklace. When council presented me with a monetary gift also I was overwhelmed. The nativity had me close to tears. I asked that the money be given to Helen for art supplies for her girls. Charlie begrudgingly agreed. I hope to continue to support VC when they visit the US for fund raising.

No comments:

Post a Comment